Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

Letter from Sister Motto "The Lord has been prominent in our life this week"

Hallo Familie und Freunde!!

The hand of the Lord has been so prominent in our lives this week! He is constantly blessing us with tender mercies every moment of every day, but today I am particularly thankful as I reflect upon the past 7 days.

This week we began to teach Frau Eiser, a woman who was a referral from the Bishop in the Linz ward in Salzburg stake. Frau Eiser is about 50 years old and is good friends with the Bishop in Linz. They`ve talked a little about the gospel together, and when the bishop found out that Frau Eiser would be moving to Vienna (this occured about a month ago) he gave us a call and asked us to get in touch with her! Figuring that Frau Eiser maybe wanted help moving, we called her and asked when we could come help with the move and get things organized. She thanked us graciously, and said "I don`t need help moving, but I would really like to learn more about your church. I have a Book of Mormon, and also a lot of questions. When do you have time?" Can I just express how much missionaries LOVE those kind of comments??!!!! :) We met with Frau Eiser Wednesday and had a wonderful first lesson with her, mostly answering her questions about the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith, and prayer. We will be meeting with Frau Eiser (I almost wrote Sister Eiser!) again this week Thursday. Please keep her in your prayers.   Member missionary work is powerful and makes THE DIFFERENCE!

We were able to get my visa (resident permit for Austria)  this week and get Sister Green all registered for hers. Aside from getting COMPLETELY lost in Vienna for about an hour, I am quite proud to say that Sister Motto found her way back home again, (though admittingly after giving the Zone leaders and Elder Bodily a call to help me get on track), and was able to figure out a shortcut to the visa place for our next trip there. Taking over this area has been a little bit of a challenge, especially with only having been here for 6 weeks before Sister Green got here. Sister Green is such a trooper though, and is very patient when it takes just a little extra time to get places because Sister Motto is still trying to figure out her way around. :) I may be a bit "blonde" and directionally challenged but I'm faithful, know how to pray, ask directions and laugh. By the time I get home, I look forward to being completely PRO at public transportation and getting around!
 





Yesterday was interesting and amazing at the same time. I love our ward and church, as usual was great! I had the opportunity to play the piano in Sacrament Meeting again.  Bischoff Souceck asked me to play about 3 weeks ago, and I was so excited for another opportunity to play piano. I played Dr. Hatch`s arrangement of "Spirit of God." It went well and I was content.  I am always grateful for the opportunity to share my testimony through music. Music speaks much louder and touches much deeper than words could ever express. 

After church, we were able to eat with our GML Perry and his wife Theresa with the elders and Miga. (Miga has her mission call to this mission, and has had quite a few visa problems. She got her Austrian visa and is able to start her mission in Linz next week! She will be in a dritt with Sister Peterson and Hungerli.) We had a great lesson, but afterward I was NOT feeling well. We went home to begin studies before planning to head out again, but I honestly could not move. Ugh, ugh, ugh....Last night I woke up and was sick all night long. None of the others who ate at Perry`s got sick....so something weird happened to me. The food maybe?  Either way, I didn`t get much sleep and was sick all night, as well as a little today, but I have been drinking lots of fluids, restricted my diet to crackers and herbal ginger and peppermint tea and I am beginning to feel a bit better. It is hard being sick on a mission: it`s hard being completely helpless and not being able to work like you want to. It`s almost a guilty feeling taking time for myself when I am on the Lord`s time, but I know He understands and I need to rest up and get healthy to be able to give this work my best effort. Please don't worry about me, I'll be fine! I am confident "this"  was just the 24 hour variety. 

I was reviewing my General Conference notes from this past October conference, and I came across this quote from Elder Nelson´s talk "Decisions for Eternity." This talk was probably one of my very favorites! Elder Nelson said, "Your spirit is an eternal entity....Your Heavenly Father has known you for a very long time. You, as His son or daughter, were chosen by Him to come to earth at this precise time, to be a leader in His great work on earth.You were chosen not for your bodily characteristics but for your spiritual attributes, such as bravery, courage, integrity of heart, a thirst for truth, a hunger for wisdom, and a desire to serve others. You developed some of these attributes premortally. Others you can develop here on earth as you persistently seek them." What a beautiful, eternal truth!!!

When taught the Gospel and when they listen with an open, sincere heart and desire to learn, the Gospel has a familiar "ring" to people. Each day, whether on the straßenbahn, Ubahn, bus, or out walking, I cannot help but think to myself how I used to know these individuals premortally, and what a silly thing it is that we don`t remember one another. What a humbling thought it is, as well, to think that I have been given gifts, spiritual gifts, meant to bless and uplift those around me, and how others´ are there for my benefit. That thought alone makes me want to work so much harder to find those ready to hear the Gospel, and do all I can just as Alma says in Alma 29, to preach the Gospel "with the voice of a trump!"

Another thought along the lines of this quote....our Heavenly Father loves us. He is our FATHER. Being on a mission and far away from home, I can´t pick up the phone and give my wonderful Daddy in Utah a call and talk for a while. However, I always have the opportunity to communicate with my other Father. This Father has unlimited minutes, and is always "online". He is always there to give us counsel, comfort, and love. Just as Elder Nelson says, "He has known (us) for a long time" and He is consistently, unwaveringly there for us and gives us exactly what we need in the time we need it. I had an experience a couple weeks ago where I was getting close to the end of my rope. I was exhausted and tired and spiritually drained. In a moment during quiet personal prayer, Heavenly Father blessed me with the comfort and presence of His Spirit, and with gentle warmth let me know that everything would be ok and that I could indeed continue on. I have such a testimony of prayer and am so grateful for the opportunity here on my mission to build my relationship with my Heavenly Vater and my Savior Jesus Christ each and every day.

Have a wonderful week! I am so grateful for your letters of support and many many prayers in my behalf.  Thank you for helping me stay strong and continue on in those moments of discouragement.  Thank goodness those only last a few minutes and I remember the responsibility I have to preach this Gospel with fervor and faith and give others optimism and a wonderful hope for eternal life.  

I love this Gospel so much.  

Alles gute!
Sister Natalie Hannah Motto

1 comment:

  1. I am so grateful that all of these sweet missionaries touch each others lives in some way. It makes them all seem closer to home somehow. I hope Natalie can truly feel all the prayers uttered in her behalf- they are countless and immeasurable!

    ReplyDelete